The Honorable Yvette Kane is a United States District Court Judge in the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
Judge Kane was born in Donaldsonville, Louisiana. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from Nicholls State University in 1973 and a J.D. from Tulane Law School in 1976.
Following law school graduation, Judge Kane served as a trial attorney at the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission from 1977 to 1978. She served as an Assistant State Attorney General of the Colorado State Attorney General’s Office from 1978 to 1980. Judge Kane then served as Deputy District Attorney in Denver from 1980 to 1986.
After moving to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Judge Kane joined the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office as a Deputy Attorney General from 1986 to 1991. She was a chief counsel of the Independent Regulatory Review Commission from 1991 to 1992, and was in private practice in Harrisburg from 1993 to 1995. She served as Secretary of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania from 1995 to 1998, under former Governor Tom Ridge.
In 1998, President Clinton nominated Judge Kane to a seat on the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania. She has served as chief judge for the district since 2006.
ENTERED ON DUTY : October 27, 1998
Chief Judge, September 1, 2006
- 1977-1978 Trial Attorney, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- 1978-1980 Assistant Attorney General, State of Colorado
- 1980-1986 Deputy District Attorney, Denver, Colorado
- 1986-1991 Deputy Attorney General, State of Pennsylvania
- 1991-1992 Chief Counsel, Pennsylvania Independent Regulatory Review Commission
- 1993-1995 Senior Associate Attorney, Wolf, Block, Schorr & Solis-Cohen
- 1995-1998 Secretary of the Commonwealth, Pennsylvania Department of State
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Former Member, National Association of Secretaries of State
- Former Member, Women Executives in State Government
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Former Member, Advisory Board, Parents Anonymous of Central Pennsylvania
- Former Vice Chair, Statutory Law Committee, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Harrisburg Community Theatre Association
- B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 1973, Nicholls State University
- J.D., 1976, Tulane University School of Law